Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Jorn Argelo <jorn_at_wcborstel.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:54:57 +0200
Rich Teer wrote:
>> I'm happy to inform that the ZFS file system is now part of the FreeBSD
>> operating system. ZFS is available in the HEAD branch and will be
>> available in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE as an experimental feature.
>>

> This is fantastic news!  At the risk of raking over ye olde arguments,
> as the old saying goes: "Dual licensing?  We don't need no stinkeen
> dual licensing!".  :-)

First of all, thanks a lot for all the hard work of both the FreeBSD
developers as the ZFS developers. I can't wait to give it a go.

That leads me to one question though: Why is *BSD able to bring it into
the OS as where Linux has licensing problems with the CDDL? AFAIK Linux
users can only run it in userland mode and not in kernel mode because of
the licenses.

I don't really know the differences between all the licenses, so feel
free to correct me if I'm saying something stupid.

Thanks,

Jorn