Re: ZFS: amd64, devd, root file system.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:33:38 +0200
On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 04:08:26PM +0100, Joao Barros wrote:
> I was looking at how Solaris got support for booting off ZFS and the
> patch to GRUB to support it.
> Is it feasible for FreeBSD's boot loader? What would be the main
> issue: technical or licensing?

I don't know if there are licensing issues, probably yes if we would
like to add ZFS support to our standard loader.

The biggest problem I see is lack of motivation on my side. Really. Why
someone would like to keep kernel on ZFS so much? This would be a huge
amount of work, I expect, and what we get in turn? On Solaris you can
only boot from a single-disk pool or from a mirrored pool. Is it really
worth the effort for us? I much more prefer to spend the time working on
something more useful than that and keep my small /boot/ file system
protected by gmirror on UFS - with this approach there are no
limitations - we can keep our root file system on compressed RAID-Z
pool.

Of course if someone is willing to try working on this, I'm happy to
help.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org