Re: netcat with SCTP support

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 06:40:50 -0400
Martin Kulas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 06:39:01AM -0400, Randall Stewart wrote:
>> Thanks for checking out SCTP for netcat... let me
>> see if I can re-create this bug with current and figure
>> out what is broken... This sounds like a bug with the
>> TCP model..
>
> I rewrote netcat's readwrite() to use select() instead of the poll()
> systemcall but read() on the network file descriptor still does not
> return EOF.  So netcat is not notified that the SCTP association has
> been closed.
>
>> So to recreate this.. I set things up run it
>> and ctl-c the client?
>
> Yeah.
>
> Starting SCTP server:
> $ nc -c -l 127.0.0.1 55555
>
> Starting SCTP client:
> $ nc -c 127.0.0.1 55555
>
> Now send a SIGINT (ctl-c) to client or server.  Sending SIGINT using
> TCP sockets will terminate the connection immediately and notifing
> the other side.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Martin:

Thanks for the info.. I will take the patch and give this
a try with all the current code (I have some patches that
need to be committed.. but none relate to this problem)..

I know earlier (about 4 months ago) we had this problem and
I thought we had fixed it.. I will dig around and see
what is wrong ... will let you know in a bit.

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)