Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:36:06 +1000
On 2007-Apr-11 17:49:11 -0400, David Schultz <das_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>As I recall, Solaris 10 targets PPro and later processors, whereas
>FreeBSD supports everything back to a 486DX.  Hence we can't
>assume that cmpxchg8b is available.

There's a feature bit (CPUID_CX8) that advertises the availability of
cmpxchg8b (and maybe some related instructions).  My pre-MMX 586 has
this bit set so I presume anything later than 486 will support it.
(I'm not sure about the low-end VIA, GEODE etc clones).

> The last time I remember this
>coming up, people argued that we had to do things slow way in the
>default kernel for compatibility.

I agree that GENERIC should run on lowest-common-denominator hardware
(the definition of that is a subject for a different thread).  GENERIC
performance could be enhanced by using an indirect call for 8-byte
atomic instructions and selecting between the cmpxchg8b and
alternative implementation as part of the CPU startup (much like
i586_bcopy).  If CPU_486 is not defined, you code could inline the
cmpxchg8b-based variant.

--
Peter Jeremy