Re: CFT: new trunk(4)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:59:53 +0800
On 12/04/07, Ian FREISLICH <ianf_at_clue.co.za> wrote:

> This is the configuration I'm going to be testing with our provider
> this morning because FreeBSD can't do link aggregation on VLAN
> interfaces.  I'm hoping that not having IP data available to the
> switch will not prevent it from working in our scenario.

Some switches (I'm sure the Cisco ones, for example) will happily do
etherchannel packet distribution based on IP header info even if
they're just configured to switch and not route.

All it has to "know" about IP is which offsets in the packet
correspond to what it should be hashing against. And (cisco) switches
have been blurring the L2/L3 switch boundary for a while (think IGMP
snooping for a very early example.)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd - adrian_at_freebsd.org