Re: ZFS to support chflags?

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:55:09 +0200
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 01:34:11PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> >>I'm not a big fan of setting these flags -- I fairly frequently run into
> >>problems when I installworld an NFS root on the NFS host, then try to
> >>work with it over NFS from the NFS-booted system, as the flags can't be
> >>removed via NFS.  They don't offer a security benefit as-installed, and
> >>perhaps offer a benefit with respect to preventing people from shooting
> >>themselves in the foot (or perhaps not).
> >
> >They do add security benefits for jails. E.g. hardlink system binaries
> >over multiple jails flaged immuteable. No jail can compromise the data in
> >other jails, while still allowing the kernel to share memory pages for it.
>
> However, the standard installworld doesn't do this.  I'm don't object to
> the flags existing, it's rather that I think that the incremental benefit
> of the cases where we do set them by default via installworld isn't there.
> If you're going to use schg to protect jails, it basically requires setting
> the flag on all the directories and files that are shared, and that
> wouldn't be a good default either. :-)

Agreed - the base usage of those flags isn't a big win.
Never saw your NFS problem, but that is only because I either cpio'ed my
new host-root directories or update on the NFS-server in a chroot.
So it was just luck that I did not saw it yet.

It would be nice to have them in ZFS for other purpose.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd_at_bwct.de           info_at_bwct.de            support_at_fizon.de