Re: Difference between 6.2 and 7.0 Adaptec 39320D - 7.0 performing less

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:03:23 -0400
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 10:47:24PM +0200, Gelsema, P (Patrick) wrote:
> Goodevening lists,
>
> I am toying with Freebsd 7 to see if it will and how it runs on my new Asus
> M2N mainboard. One of the things I noticed is that when running
> 7.0-Current-200704 the throughput of the SCSI drive seems halved. When
> running 6.2 throughput is doubled/normal.
>
> Throughput is measured with the following command.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/test
> where /usr resides on da0s1f
>
> On 7.0 I get about 33MB/sec
> On 6.2 I get about 69Mb/sec
>
> I did not make any changes, installation is fresh from CD with Minimal as
> distribution.

Apparently you weren't paying attention during boot, because 7.0 ships
with heavy debugging options enabled, and tells you about it up front:

     "WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.\n";

Recompile your kernel with debugging options disabled before making
performance comparisons.

Kris