Re: Some comments on ZFS

From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj_at_jennejohn.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:43:13 +0200
Robert Watson writes:

> >> also how can we determine the real memory consumption by zfs,arc and his
> >> vfs cache share ?
> >>
> >> how can we precisely instrument zfs ?
> >
> > The "vmstat -m" will give you precise breakdown of kernel memory usage.
>
> You'll also want to use "vmstat -z".  "-m" captures memory allocated by
> kernel malloc(9), which is used for variable-sized objects, or objects that
> are irregularly allocated.  "-z" captures memory allocated by the kernel zone
>
> allocator, used for regularly sized and frequently allocated objects.  Small
> allocations in malloc(9) are actually allocated via fixed size memory buckets
>
> in the zone allocator, so if looking at "-m" as well, ignore zones who's name
> consist solely of a number (i.e., "16", which is the 16-byte bucket).

Interestingly enough, I see less memory pressure since switching to ZFS.
But I'm not using RAIDZ. Previously ``make buildworld'' would use much
more memory, probably for buffer caching. It looks like ZFS doesn't use
nearly as much buffer cache as UFS (which may not be a good thing).

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde