Re: Panic on boot with April 16 src (lengthy info attached)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:05:23 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 05:32:32PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> There's quite a bit of stuff in here, but I can speak to this one: Andre's
>> recent TCP timer change causes TCP to run without Giant when
>> debug.mpsafenet=0.  This leads to panics with INVARIANTS, and non-MPSAFE
>> code running without Giant otherwise.
>
> Thanks Robert, that did indeed let me boot. I appreciate your help :-)
>
> I originally put it in there to work around a LOR that I was experiencing
> (based on you mentioning it in an email to current_at_ Sun 18 Mar 2007 15:50).
> http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor/191.html doesn't show any changes to
> that particular LOR, do you happen to know if there's any ongoing work on
> this? I'm very willing to act as a test system.

I chatted with Andre about the panic earlier this afternoon, and it sounds
like the fix is straight forward.  I would anticipate seeing it committed in
the near future.

I'll send out an e-mail explaining the above lock order reversal tomorrow
morning.  I understand that several people have been looking at this, so
perhaps one of those people will reply talking about it before then. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge