Re: what's the best make.conf for current? How does developer dist translates into make.conf

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:24:03 -0700
If memory serves me right, Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD wrote:
> On Wed, April 18, 2007 09:27, Roman Divacky wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:19:19PM +0200, Gelsema, P (Patrick) wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I install Freebsd from cd with Sysinstall I selected Developer as
>>> distribution. After cvsup-ping I went into make.conf and tried to
>>> determine
>>> what I want to build with buildworld.
>>>
>>> I want to buildworld with the same settings chosen in sysinstall,
>>> however I am
>>> unable to find how developer translates into a make.conf.
>>>
>>> Reviewing man sysinstall and google does not shed much light on the
>>> matter.
>>> Anyone to clarify this or know where to find?
>> /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
>
> Thanks,
> I did have a look at this file yesterday, and I just checked cvsweb just
> to make sure I haven't missed anything.
> The problem I have is that I want to buildworld with setlike
> distributionset Developer as chosen in Sysinstall. I dont want to install
> things which I don't need.
>
> Basically I am looking for the definitions of the distribution sets of
> sysinstall which I can use for make.conf.

When we build releases, we build with an essentially empty make.conf
file, which causes "everything" to get built.  The release creation
Makefile (specifically src/release/Makefile) partitions the results into
the different distributions (such as base, catpages, manpages, etc.).
sysinstall takes combinations of these distributions to make up the
"Developer", "Kernel Developer", etc. distribution sets that get
presented to you in the sysinstall menus.  Again none of this involves
tweaking make.conf, which controls the build at a somewhat lower level.

I think that you could probably approximate the "Developer" distribution
set by just setting NO_GAMES in /etc/make.conf.  That might not be
exactly what you installed originally but it's probably close.
Practically speaking, however, the games are very small compared to the
rest of the base system, so if I were in your position I probably
wouldn't bother trying to tweak the build like this.

Bruce.