Re: [kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?

From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:12:46 +0200
On Wednesday, 18. April 2007, Beni wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I think I have a problem with hal(d) and k3b (version 1.0 from ports) : my
> whole system freezes when starting up k3b. I get the splash screen and then
> it all stops and a ctrl-alt-del is the only way out.

Other people have reported kernel panics. It looks to me like k3b's device
probing and hald's device probing at the same time manages to tickle a bug in
ata(4).

Ref: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-April/070753.html
     http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034486.html

I'm afraid a true kernel hacker will have to inconvenince themselves with
running k3b and hal in order to have this one fixed. FWIW, I haven't seen in
happening on 5.5.

Cheers,
--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org