Re: [kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?

From: Beni <beni_at_brinckman.info>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:29:19 +0200
On Friday 20 April 2007 03:55:56 Ganbold wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > I forwarded my mail to gnome_at_ (the HAL maintainers) after sending it and
> > Joe Marcus Clarke from gnome_at_ had this to say on the issue:
> >
> > --- snip
> >
> > This should have been fixed a while ago by jylefort when he set the
> > default device for ATAPI access to be the ATAPICAM device (as opposed to
> > the ATA device).  Assuming you have not undone that change, and are
> > running the latest version of HAL, these panics should not be occurring.
> >
> > Even still, you're right that these are not HAL bugs, but rather an
> > issue in the kernel.  I use nautilus-cd-burner to burn CDs in GNOME, and
> > I have never had such a panic on 6-STABLE.  n-c-b uses cdrecord, cdrao,
> > and dvd-utils under the covers to do the actual device work.  Not sure
> > what k3b is using, but maybe it diddles something it shouldn't.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > --- snip
> >
> > Beni, Robert, Ganbold, are you all in fact running the latest version of
> > the hal port and do you all have atapicam enabled in your kernel? If not,
> > making sure of both might help avoiding the problem.
>
> I see. I know I have updated my system last Saturday (14th April 2007) and
> I think I updated both hal and kdelibs ports. I have atapicam enabled in
> kernel.
> Let me double check it this weekend and I will let you know.
>
> thanks,
>
> Ganbold

> > Re: Fwd: Re: [kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?
> > From:
> > Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_freebsd.org>
> > Date:
> > Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:49:26 -0400
> > To:
> > Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
> >
> > To:
> > Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
> > CC:
> > gnome_at_freebsd.org
> >
> > Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >> I forgot to cc gnome_at_ on my reply. I don't think this is a HAL bug, but
> >> just FYI.

> >> Re: [kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?
> >> From:
> >> Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
> >> Date:
> >> Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:12:46 +0200
> >> To:
> >> kde_at_freebsd.org
> >>
> >> To:
> >> kde_at_freebsd.org
> >> CC:
> >> Beni <beni_at_brinckman.info>, h.eichmann_at_gmx.de, current_at_freebsd.org,
> >> stable_at_freebsd.org

> >> Other people have reported kernel panics. It looks to me like k3b's
> >> device probing and hald's device probing at the same time manages to
> >> tickle a bug in ata(4).
> >>
> >> Ref:
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-April/070753.htm
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034486.html
> >>
> >> I'm afraid a true kernel hacker will have to inconvenince themselves
> [...]

Could it all be related to this :
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034553.html
and the "solution" from Shane Bell in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034602.html :

"I believe the culprit is somewhere in a recent MFC to atapi-cam.c (rev
1.42.2.3) reverting to rev 1.42.2.2 fixes both the k3b system hangs
and "INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST" errors here."

Beni.