MSI issues w/ Athlon64 X2 3800+ and nForce 430?

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:44:44 -0700
I finally upgraded to -current that supports MSI, and I appear to be
having issues w/ it.  I have two different ethernet cards that exhibit
issues on this system.  An msk PCIe based card, and a PCI em based card...

With MSI the msk card produced regular:
msk1: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering

But was usable enough to push ~110meg/sec out.  When I was watching an
HD program streamed over http, there were regular hickups ever few
minutes, which I figured was due to the above messages (though none
appeared while watching), so I decided to switch back to my em based
card, and w/ MSI the card is practically useless.  I get:
Apr 21 22:13:09 carbon kernel: em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
Apr 21 22:13:09 carbon kernel: em0: link state changed to DOWN
Apr 21 22:13:12 carbon kernel: em0: link state changed to UP
Apr 21 22:14:19 carbon kernel: em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
Apr 21 22:14:19 carbon kernel: em0: link state changed to DOWN

Which ends up making things a bit difficult to pass usable traffic over
the interface.

After disabling MSI w/:
hw.pci.enable_msi=0
in /boot/laoder.conf, things are now working again w/ em0.  I have also
switched back to msk1, and don't seem to be seing the watchdog timeouts
that I was previously seeing..

Attached are pciconf -lv and dmesg from the box.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579