Re: GPT as default?

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:59:21 +0200
Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com> writes:
> I'm actually working on it now. I want the tool to be finished
> before 7.0. The problems are in the details (as usual).
>
> These are my requirements (FWIW):
> 1. It needs to have a friendly UI -> I'm using a curses based interface.

No, it doesn't.

> 2. It needs to be used in scripts -> It needs a similar usage model as
>    gpt(8).
> 3. It needs to replace gpt(8) -> see point 2.
> 3. It needs to be able to work on files -> construct a md device on the
>    fly.

No, it doesn't.  That's what mdconfig is for.

> 4. It should be usable by non-root (read-only operation and working on
>    files owned by user as per point 3) -> suid

I don't really see why.

It seems to me you're suffering from second system syndrome.  Forget
points 1, 3 and 4 and focus on getting the job done and rescuing what
credibility you have left.

If g_part implements all the necessary verbs, it should only take a
few hours to write a geom(8) plugin for it.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no