Re: GPT as default?

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:09:06 +0200
Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com> writes:
> On Apr 22, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > It seems to me you're suffering from second system syndrome.  Forget
> > points 1, 3 and 4 and focus on getting the job done and rescuing what
> > credibility you have left.
>
> LOL
>
>> If g_part implements all the necessary verbs, it should only take a
>> few hours to write a geom(8) plugin for it.
>
> Do it. Stop being an arrogant prick and put your money where your
> mouth is. Your input has so far only been good for a laugh, which
> doesn't really advance FreeBSD. Hell, you may actually end up
> being able to tell me you told me so. It seems to me that that's
> of great personal value to you.

Marcel, my words may have been poorly chosen, but I've been using GPT
for several years, and I've reported these issues (and others) to you
several times over the course of those years and witnessed your
complete lack of interest.  Now you suddenly seem to realize GPT's
shortcomings, but you still don't understand that the issue all along
was your unwillingness or inability to follow the pattern established
by our other GEOM classes.

Consider further that Ivan is a SoC student working on a new FreeBSD
installation and configuration tool which will offer graphical and
curses interfaces to, amongst other things, disk partitioning (in
fact, his mentor has asked him to focus primarily on the latter).  He
won't have an easy job of it if 1) there is no reliable way to
configure GPT and 2) you trample all over his turf by insisting on
implementing your own curses interface to g_part.

I also question the wisdom of spending time on a curses interface
specific to g_part when g_part is only a small piece of the GEOM
puzzle.  You seem hell-bent on increasing the cleft between g_gpt /
g_part and our other GEOM classes.  They should converge, not diverge.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no