Re[2]: clamd memory corruption (may be jemalloc related)

From: Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin_at_citrin.ru>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:05:51 +0400
Hello Jason,

You wrote on Friday, April 20, 2007, 1:20:27 AM:

JE> Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
>> I try to test clamav 0.90.2 on current and got strange errors:
>>
>> LibClamAV Warning: Multipart/alternative MIME message contains no boundary header
>> LibClamAV Warning: Multipart/ZZZZZZZZZZZZÇÇÇÇÀå MIME message contains no boundary header
>> LibClamAV Warning: Multipart/related MIME message contains no boundary header

JE> The only race condition issue for malloc that I know of has to do with
JE> rtld not replacing the libc spinlock stubs with threaded
JE> implementations.  However, I am pretty sure that this problem only shows
JE> up when versioned symbols are enabled.

JE> malloc's locking methodology is pretty straightforward, which makes me
JE> reasonably confident about its correctness.  If your debugging efforts
JE> point you at malloc, you should try reverting to phkmalloc to see if
JE> that makes the problem go away.

As I wrote bug was in clamav...

Big thanks for new malloc - it work very fast and scales well with SMP.

For test was used system with 2 CPU x 4 cores.

clamd scan time with jemalloc (under current) - 5.6 seconds.

Same hardware, but with 6.2 stable - 274.8 seconds
(and with 8 cores it several times slower than with only one core).

--
 Anton Yuzhaninov.