Re: cardbus not powered when ACPI is enabled

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:08:58 -0400
On Friday 27 April 2007 04:57:52 pm Lars Engels wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 05:45:50PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

Samsung

APIC

> > > Yes, it boots correctly with only APIC disabled and ACPI enabled. But
> > > then I again have the cardbus problem.
> >
> > So it always boots ok?  Which combinations of ACPI on/off and APIC on/off
> > allow the cardbus card to work?
>
> Now the situation is:
>
> ACPI enabled,   APIC enabled:     works fine
> ACPI disabled,  APIC disabled:    not recognized
> ACPI disabled,  APIC enabled:     not recognized
> ACPI enabled,   APIC disabled:    not recognized
>
> I also encountered occasional "Panic: failed to create swap zone" when
> CPU #1 was launched just before the disks get mounted. Could that be
> related?

Ok, so for the default setup, the only problem is that panic?  That sounds
like running out of kvm possibly as the swapzone is preallocated from kmem.
The system may be allocating too much for the swapzone, in which case you can
explicitly set the size via the 'kern.maxswzone' tunable.  One possible
formula for this is:

    maxswzone = (swap + 1024) * 1024 * 9 / 2

Where 'swap' is the amount of swap in megabytes.

--
John Baldwin