Re: default dns config change causing major poolpah

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:33:12 -0700
Skip Ford wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> If there is a consensus based on solid technical reasons (not
>> emotion or FUD) to back the root zone slaving change out,
>
> If that's a shot at me, you're out of line.

It wasn't aimed specifically at you, no.

> I specifically said I didn't have an axe to grind with anyone, and
> I never piled on in my comments.

Reasonable minds may differ on that, but in any case ...

> The reason I provided *is* purely technical.  The roots can decide
> tomorrow to block AXFR requests from FreeBSD users who install
> 6.3-RELEASE or 7.0-RELEASE.  They may.  They may not.  But they
> can.

Here is where the problem lies. What you're saying here is simply not
true. I know several of the root operators personally, and in my
previous position as GM of IANA I worked with them directly both
individually and collectively. Everything involving a change to a root
server is done at a near-glacial pace. There no more danger that we
will wake up tomorrow unable to AXFR the root from any server than
there is that we'll wake up tomorrow not able to send resolver queries
to any root server. To say that this IS possible is FUD.

Doug