Re: default dns config change causing major poolpah

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_rabson.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:42:15 +0100
On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 18:04 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> > in addition nowhere does it state in RFC2870 that the root-servers have to
> > accept AXFR's as part of their service.
>
> in fact, the opposite
>
>    2.7 Root servers SHOULD NOT answer AXFR, or other zone transfer,
>        queries from clients other than other root servers.  This
>        restriction is intended to, among other things, prevent
>        unnecessary load on the root servers as advice has been heard
>        such as "To avoid having a corruptible cache, make your server a
>        stealth secondary for the root zone."  The root servers MAY put
>        the root zone up for ftp or other access on one or more less
>        critical servers.

I think this makes it completely clear that we should not be trying to
use the AXFR service from any of the root servers. Expert users can do
what they like but making our default configuration use a service which
is documented in the current best practices document as being
unsupported seems foolish.