Re: named.conf restored to hint zone for the root by default

From: Skip Ford <skip_at_menantico.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:34:59 -0400
Doug Barton wrote:
> In an effort to find some kind of balance (I won't even try to say
> "consensus") between those who hate the idea of slaving the root
> zones, those who like the idea but don't want it to be the default,
> and those who like the idea, I've made the following change:
>
> 1. Change the default behavior back to using a hint zone for the root.
> 2. Leave the root slave zone config as a commented out example.
> 3. Remove the B and F root servers from the example at the request of
>    their operators.
>
> I hope that we can now dial down the volume on the meta-issue of how
> the change was done, and focus on the operational issues of whether
> it's a good idea or not.

Thanks.  I'm afraid the consensus has to come from the operators,
not from FreeBSD folks.

If the operators were required to support it, I think everyone
should slave the roots, not just those running busy servers.  Just
like I'd think everyone should sync with stratum-1 servers if
those operators supported everyone doing that.

--
Skip