Re: laptop no longer reboots

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:55:00 -0700
On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 10:15:03AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >And as you can see, I've done this a few times -- been building CURRENT
> >daily (with a few exceptions) since I got the machine.
>
> yaeh, but can it reboot?

Err... yeah; not sure how else I'd actually run the kernel I just built.

FWIW, the daily routine is:

(While running STABLE)

* Update the local private copy of the CVS repository; start a "cvs
  update" on the /usr/ports CVS working directory.

* Start a "cvs update" on the (STABLE) /usr/src CVS working directory.

* If there were updates to STABLE, proceed with "make buildworld" and
  friends, then reboot to implement newly-built kernel & world.

* Start a "cvs update" on the CURRENT /usr/src CVS working directory.

* Check /usr/ports/UPDATING for relevant issues & address them
  apprropriately, then do a "portupgrade -a".

* Once both the CURRENT "cvs update" and the "portuprade -a" are done,
  and if there were updates to /usr/src, reboot from the CURRENT slice.
  Once running CURRENT, start "make buildworld" and friends.  Take
  evasive action as necessary.  :-}  Reboot to at least do a reality
  check on newly-built CURRENT; as part of the reality check, verify that
  the an0 NIC still works and see if the wi0 NIC has started working
  again.  Once that's done, reboot back to STABLE (currently on slice 1)
  where I normally use thw  wi0 NIC.

So yeah, there's a fair amount of rebooting involved.

And I tend to make the machine work a bit more than is usual for a
laptop.  :-}

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.