nfe(4) issues

From: <dan_at_danneh.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 17:07:07 +0100 (BST)
Afternoon people.
I might be covering old ground here, and I realise that this is resolved
in fbsd7, however I'm after an urgent fix, as I'm unable to wait for fbsd7
to become a release.
I have a rack server, with an nvidia nforce pro 3600 chipset, and the nic
cards use the mcp55 marvell 88e1121 chipset (dual gigabit lan). the nve
that's shipped with 6.2 doesn't recognise it, and have been following
instructions here at
http://www.f.csce.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki//software/freebsd-nfe.html to
attempt to get the nfe driver working on fbsd6.2. following the
instructions letter for letter, i patch sys/dev/mii, comment out "device
nve", recompile the kernel and reboot.
on attempting to build the nfe kld after it's rebooted, make fails with
errors in the sys/dev/pci/*.h files, and refuses to build.
next i figured i'd grab the changes on the cvs for the generic kernel
file, which adds an 'nfe' directory in sys/dev and added "device nfe" into
the kernel config. however, compiling this time, says "device nfe
unknown". however the source files are there.
i know fbsd well enough to use it, but going deep into kernel
configuration isn't my thing, so i got a bit lost after that. is this
route even possible, or is this something that may be added in a stable
brance of 6.2 that i can use? my main concern is using a stable 6.2 or
current 7, being development software etc, that this server is a
production server (or will be) for internet based services. so if
possible, require the most stable solution.
what do you suggest?
dan