Re: nfe(4) issues

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 09:27:10 +0200
Quoting Tony Holmes <tony_at_crosswinds.net> (from Wed, 8 Aug 2007
15:04:56 -0400):

> On +Aug 08, Oliver Fromme wrote:

>> However, I recommend you update to 7-current anyway.  It is
>> already in code freeze for several weeks (in preparation
>> for the release), and it has been stable for me so far.
>
> Let me add a "I concur" to this. I upgaded to 7-current 4 weeks ago for this
> very reason and I have been pleased with the stability and
> performance. I have
> enough confidence to deploy into production in the next couple of weeks.

gcc 4.2.0 in -current has known defects. I wouldn't trust it on a
production system. When 4.2.1 is imported, some of the known problems
in gcc are fixed, but not all. The IP checksum code in FreeBSD is
affected by the new gcc (IIRC when compiled without optimization...
it's probably the same bug in the checksum code which showed up when I
compiled the kernel with icc 3 years ago). One of our SoC students
knows how to fix it, but I don't know if one of our network guys is
taking care about the problem.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Optimism is the content of small men in high places.
		-- F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack Up"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137