Re: Data corruption with msdosfs (rev. 1.172 of msdosfs_vnops.c)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:43:59 +0200
Quoting Philipp Mergenthaler
<philipp.mergenthaler_at_stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> (from Sat, 4 Aug 2007
16:28:54 +0200):

>  Hi,
>
> with rev. 1.172 of msdosfs_vnops.c I see data corruption when reading files
> on a FAT 32 file system. (I didn't try write accesses apart from deleting
> some files, which worked ok).  The file system is on a IDE disk in an
> external USB enclosure and has been created with "newfs_msdos -F 32", IIRC.
> I can use it without problems under FreeBSD-current (prior to July 20th),
> Windows XP and Linux.

I asked bde (the last one who touched the msdosfs) if he has seen your
report. As he doesn't read -current, he hasn't. Here's his response
(please keep him in CC):
---snip---
I haven't seen that problem here.  There is the easy workaround of mounting
with -noclusterr (except I think -noclusterr is not honored by mmap, oops).
Ask the OP if this works even with mmap (mmap can be tested using cp), and
what all the fs parameters are (newfs_msdos prints them.  Was -F 32 the onlt
parameter used?  That parameter has no effect since it is the default for
non-small filesystems).
---snip---

Bye,
Alexander.

--
BOFH excuse #278:

The Dilithium Crystals need to be rotated

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137