Re: Why we don't use bzip2 in sysinstall/rescue?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:39:44 +0200 (CEST)
LI Xin wrote:
 > As a side note.  For networked installation, using bzip2 would reduce
 > traffic by ~11%.

And increase local installation time by 900% (except maybe
on high-end machines).

I just tested extracting a 10 MB .bz2 file to /dev/null
on our 800 MHz server:  It took 57 seconds.  Recompressing
the result to .gz, extracting that took only 5 seconds.
The installation data is roughly 30 times that much.

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980