Re: Atheros AR5006 abg minipci

From: Jacob Hart <jacob.hart+freebsd-current_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:19:37 +1000
Sam,

I'm using the 0.9.30.3 hal on a recently built -CURRENT, and my
wireless is detected as shown:

ath0: <Atheros 5418> mem 0x90100000-0x9010ffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci2
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
ath0: Ethernet address: 00:17:f2:e9:64:19
ath0: mac 12.10 phy 8.1 radio 12.0

In my quest for a quieter notebook I've been experimenting with
powerd.  The wireless connection works reliably if
debug.cpufreq.lowest sysctl is set to restrict the CPU frequency to
1.16GHz or greater (it is a 2GHz core2 duo using the est driver), but
anything under that it begins to show some instability.

At 1GHz and 875MHz the wireless connection will intermittently freeze.
 I can usually resurrect the connection by forcing wpa_supplicant to
reassociate with the AP (from wpa_cli) or, if not, by restarting the
ath0 interface via /etc/rc.d/netif restart.

At 750MHz I experience the same problem as above, but occasionally the
if_ath module must be unloaded and re-loaded, then the ath0 interface
brought back up before the driver will be able to associate with an
AP.

At 500MHz i must always unload and reload the if_ath module.  Scanning
usually works, but association with an AP is not guaranteed at this
speed; i'd estimate it works about 25% of the time.  At speeds below
500Mhz, it is not possible to scan or associate with an AP.

Is this a known known issue with the driver or is it specific to my
system?  Further, is there anything I can do to help track down the
problem?

-j