Re: ichwd and teethless watchdogd

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnisec.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:20:21 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 23. August 2007 12:18:03 schrieb Dag-Erling Smørgrav:
> Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnisec.de> writes:
> > I had tested the ich 6/7/8 ichwd patch some months ago on a ich7 FSC
> > machine and it worked fine.  On my ich8 desktop probing found ichwd0
> > but it didn't work. My new ich9 machine doesn't show ichwd0.
>
> It should work on ICH9 if you add the correct PCI ID.
>
> > But now (with -current after imported ichwd patch) I also have
> > problems on an Intel Server board with ich7.  SIGKILL to watchdogd
> > should reboot the machine, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > It doesn't, but probing reports two times ichwd0.
>
> A verbose dmesg would be nice.

Here are the relevant lines:

ichwd0: <Intel ICH7 watchdog timer> on isa0
isab0: found ICH7 or equivalent chipset: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer
ichwd0: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer (ICH7 or equivalent)
ichwd0: timer disabled

After watchdogd has started I get this message every second:
ichwd0: timer reloaded

I guess the ichwd is hardware disabled by the bios.
Can this be corrected somehow?
The BIOS of that Intel server motherboard is somewhat horrible. No AHCI
support, no console redirectiojn for the RAID setup, only one mode in VGA
BIOS and now ichwd disabled. I'll stay with FujitsuSiemens.

-Harry