Re: Symbol versioning conventions

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:30:17 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <Pine.GSO.4.64.0708261240070.23191_at_sea.ntplx.net>
            Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
: >
: > But, anyway, there are at least three people in the project who
: > misundertood the intended role of symbol versioning.  Besides yours
: > truly, a humble developer, there are a core team member and a release
: > engineer among them.  This may be a sign that some decisions regarding
: > symbol versioning, which is a rather central feature for developers
: > and code contributors, haven't had enough exposure.  Perhaps we've
: > just missed some important discussions on the lists, but symbol
: > versioning is a long-term feature and as such it deserves a document
: > describing in detail how to use it in our project.
:
: I've think I've stated in replies to commit mail that symbol versioning
: isn't meant as a crutch to aid -current developers, but that is neither
: written down or documented and was probably over a year ago.

You never answered my point: The release engineer gets to decide when
the ABI is frozen.  Maybe it already is and this use isn't a crutch.

Warner