RE: Repeated UFS panics?

From: Jan Mikkelsen <janm_at_transactionware.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:25:44 +1000
Ivan Voras wrote:
> Has anyone experienced frequent UFS panics on VMWare on fresh
> current?
> I've started seeing ufs_dirbad panics almost daily. For a
> while I could
> cause them simply by running make installworld to a freshly
> newfs-ed
> file system - the panic message points to the *new* file
> system.
> Unfortunately, kgdb cannot process the generated vmcores
> (though they
> are on a separate file system that has never crashed). The
> repeatable
> panics on new file systems have stopped when I rebuilt the
> kernel, but
> now they are happening again, this time on my /usr/ports. I
> don't think
> file system options have an influence - they first happened on
> "normal" UFS (noasync), and now they are happening on
> gjournaled, aync
> mounted UFS.

Is this an SMP or uniprocessor virtual machine?

I see frequent "signal 11" failures from gcc when putting an SMP
virtual machine under load.  The same load on a uniprocessor
virtual machine works fine.  This is 6.2-STABLE;  I haven't tried
-CURRENT.  VMware Server 1.0.3, AMD-X2, ECC memory, Windows XP
64-bit host.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen