Re: Error building openoffice.org-2: cannot compute object file suffix

From: Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:53:38 -0400
On 8/27/07, Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>
> > You got my hopes up ;-) No, I don't have that flag, but I had my
> > CPUTYPE set to "native." Thought that was the problem, but
> > unfortunately that didn't fix it. I first set it back to pentium-m,
> > and then commented both CPUTYPE and CFLAGS in my make.conf. Same exact
> > thing. Cannot compute suffix of object files.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>

> I had such a situation once before, and I'm quite sure, that it is
> the compiler failing due to bad command line options. As a result
> no output file is generated, configured can not determine the object
> file name suffix and it terminates after printing the error message
> you got.
>
> You can add an "echo $ac_compile" to just before the test that fails,
> that way you should be able to see the command that is to be executed.
> Then invoke the compiler (gcc-ooo !!!) just that same way (with any
> C source file as additional parameter) and check the error message.
> The error messages could in fact have been written to config.log,
> but it was not in my failure case.
>
> Good luck, STefan

Did as you suggested, put "echo $ac_compile" in configure, that
printed out the compile command which was using $CFLAGS. I then had it
run "echo $CFLAGS" and the arguments there contained -march=native. I
guess this value was cached somewhere, and it was using it even though
make.conf was changed. I didn't run make clean the first time since it
takes a while to clean and rebuild everything up to that point. This
time around I verified the settings in make.conf, then ran 'make clean
install clean' for openoffice. Looks like it was able to build gcc-ooo
with no problems. Right now it's building the actual openoffice
installation.

Thanks for the tip!