Re: Encrypted zfs?

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:46:25 +0200
On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:48:18PM +0000, Christian Walther wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm currently using a zraid consisting of three drives. Lately I wonder
> what the best way would be to encrypt it.
> I read the chapter dealing with disk encryption in the handbook, and
> decided to use GELI. Is there anyone here on the list who has some
> experiences with ZFS on encrypted GELI devices? Are there some
> performance specs around?
>
> And what is even more important: What is the best of moving the zraid to
> encrypted devices?
> I can't remove one of the disks because they are in use. So I figure one
> way would be to buy another disk, set up encryption and add it to the
> pool. I could then remove one disk after the other, encrypt it, remove
> the (now broken one) from the zpool, and add the newly encrypted device.
> Since buying disks costs money I wonder how save it would be to follow
> this procedure without adding a new disk. From my point of view I'll
> loose redundancy as soon as I remove one of the three disks. But is
> there another problem or something dangerous I don't see her?

slayer:root:~# zpool list
NAME                    SIZE    USED   AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH     ALTROOT
private                 334G   64,6G    269G    19%  ONLINE     -
tank                   1,45T    607G    881G    40%  ONLINE     -

slayer:root:~# zpool status
  pool: private
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        private        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1       ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad1s2.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6.eli    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad7s2.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0