Re: ZFS kernel panic

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_bitblocks.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:14:40 -0700
> > The simplest thing to do in case of a write error is to
> > simply ignore it.  You *will* catch this problem when you try
> > to read this block.  One step better is to do what you
> > suggest.
>
> You can't ignore write error, because application already assumed the
> write succeeded, which can lead to misbehaviour later. ZFS cannot yet
> handle write error, so it panics to preserve data consistency. This is
> the good reaction on ZFS side until skipping bad blocks is not
> implemented.

If you ignore a write error, the effect is the same as if the
disk block was good on writing but went bad before the first
read.  Seems to me this is better than panicing (but of
course not as good as finding an alternate block).

AFAIK ZFS already uses redundancy for metadata so the
metadata consistency will be maintained.

> > What happens now when you do use redundancy and there is a
> > write error while writing one of the copies?  Does the system
> > panic or is this error ignored?
>
> Don't remember off hand, but component is probably marked as bad and
> vdev group goes to degraded state. You can simulate this easly with
> gnop(8).

Thanks.  It would be good to add some ioctl to allow failing
specific blocks on reads and/or writes.