Re: Repeated UFS panics?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:31:10 -0500
Ivan Voras wrote:
> Tom Judge wrote:
>
>> It would be easier to attach a serial console to the system, even if
>> it is in the form of a second machine and null modem cable.  The
>> handbook will hold your had if you want to try setting it up.
>
> No need for that - I'm running it under VMWare so I can route serial
> ports between VMs.
>
> The big problem is that most of the panics happen with cd9660 as the
> root file system (LiveCD setup) and I'll have to see what I can do with
> serial ports in this environment. But it's a good idea.

When I get a panic while in X, I can now (recently - this was not true 3
or 4 months ago) just type "call doadump [enter] reset [enter]" and I'll
get a crash dump and the system will reboot.  I then analyze the dump
later.  I can't see the text, but it actually *is* in the debugger (for
me anyway).  That's how I tracked this dirbad issue down when I saw it
the first time.

Eric