Re: Promise SATA 300 TX4

From: Arno J. Klaassen <arno_at_heho.snv.jussieu.fr>
Date: 31 Aug 2007 21:20:01 +0200
Hi,

I changed motherboard :

  -SMP-kernel iso UP
  -bge netowork iso msk

  -same disks
  -same cables
  -same card

  - just one TX4 card (this is a Tyan with only 2 PCI-X slots
    (and since at delivery I discovered that the on-board Adaptec
     was missing ;((( I need one slot for a 29320 card))

Quickly testing with a 3-disk graid3 scratch and things seem
far better :

I only get occasionaly :

 ad16: FAILURE - out of memory in start
 ad16: FAILURE - out of memory in start
 ad14: FAILURE - out of memory in start
 ad18: FAILURE - out of memory in start
 ad18: FAILURE - out of memory in start
 ad18: FAILURE - out of memory in start

but for now they seem harmless.

There is a PR talking about interaction between
the BIOS and the [s]ata-driver being problematic (wrt PCI-settings)
( http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=103435 )

And some kind of allocation seems problematic:
on the former MB  pci_alloc_map() gave an error, now it is
an occassionaly failing ata_alloc_request().

Arno