Re: Announcing pkg_search

From: Denise H. G. <darcsis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:21:32 +0800
Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm_at_mathematik.uni-marburg.de> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am not really sure if this is the appropriate list ... if its not,
> please redirect me to the right one.
>
> I wrote a small script called pkg_search to help me searching my local
> ports tree for a port/package without using "make search name=" or
> something like freshports.org.  Its not a big deal, but it eases my
> daily pkg_add life a bit :)

Hi

I am also interested in `pkg_install' tools. A couple of weeks ago I
planned to rewrite the `pkg_install' tools from scratch. And first of
all I wrote a simple `pkg_info', which does what your `pkg_search' does,
but it uses berkeley db to store package information.

My idea is that `pkg_install' tools should be implemented in a
combination of shell scripts and C codes. That way both the shell script
parts and C parts would be somewhat straightforward compared with the
current implementation of `pkg_install'.