Re: 7.0-Beta 3: zfs makes system reboot

From: Michael Rebele <m.rebele_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:53:24 +0100
Alexandre Biancalana wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 2:27 PM, Michael Rebele <m.rebele_at_web.de> wrote:
>> 4. The applied kernel settings
>> kern.maxvnodes="400000"
>> vm.kmem_size_max="512M"
>> vm.kmem_size="512M"
>>
>> 5. Output from zpool
>> [root_at_zfs /root]# zpool status
>>    pool: tank
>>   state: ONLINE
>>   scrub: none requested
>> config:
>>
>>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>          tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            ad4s1g    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> errors: No known data errors
>>
>> Can anyone confirm the issue? Any solutions around?
>>

> Have you tried this patch
> http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/vm_kern.c.2.patch ?

Hmm, the patch is from Oct, 6. The Beta 3 came more than 4 weeks later.
Why isn't it already applied? Are the any drawbacks with other Kernel-Parts?

The other thing, that makes me a bit confused is the need of twiddling
around with Kernel-Memory parameters. Maybe, the default values of 384MB
seem to be a bit less as ZFS does a lot of caching in RAM. But, why
breaks this up the system?
Less memory may lead to a performance penalty (even to very low values)
but should never made the system reboot or make it halt with a "kmem_map
too small"-Message - or am i wrong?

But we're in the experimental phase - so, I'll apply the mentioned patch
and test it again. Thanks.

Michael

--
Die Erde ist die Irrenanstalt des Universums.

Public Key:
http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5D0A2BC3CEB
3F472