Re: [RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering (Repost from -ports_at_)

From: Andreas Pettersson <andpet_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:35:57 +0100
Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> 1. What is more important to your personal use of FreeBSD (the ports
> system, the underlaying OS, some other aspect)?
>

> 2. How frequently do you interact with the ports systems and what is
> the most common interaction you have with it?

Portupgrade a few times a month

> 3. What is the single best aspect of the current system?

Installed ports are configurally very similar to the source distribution
(no renamed config files etc), so it's easy to get support from the
community.

> 4. What is the single worst aspect of the current system?

I find it difficult to downgrade installed ports.

> 5. If you where a new FreeBSD user how would your answers above
> change?   If you where brand new to UNIX how whould they change?

Not sure.

> 6. Assuming that there was no additional work on your behalf would you
> use a new system if it corrected your answer to number 4?

I think so.

> 7. Same as question 6 but for your answer on question 3?

I think not.

> 8. How long have you used FreeBSD and/or UNIX in general?

FreeBSD since 2003.

> 9.  That is your primary use(s) for your FreeBSD machine(s) (name upto 3)?

Firewall, development, misc

> 10. Assuming there is no functional difference what is your preferred
> installation method for 3rd party software?

Ports

> 11. On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best) please rate the
> importance of the following aspects of the ports system?
>
>        a. User Interface                               *5*
>        b. Consistency of behaviors and interactions    *7*
>        c. Accuracy in dependant port installations     *8*
>        d. Internal record keeping                      *6*
>        e. Granularity's of the port management system  *?*
>
> 12. Please rate your personal technical skill level?

Average

--
Andreas