Re: Lost CPU utilization with 7.0-BETA4

From: Alexandre \ <alex.kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:59:10 -0500
On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 14:13 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Since I upgraded my desktop from CURRENT as of late September to
> 7.0-BETA4 Monday, I can no longer see CPU utilization. It shows as zero
> in top, gkrellm, and the Gnome System Monitor.
>
> I thought kernel and userland might be out of sync, so I csup'ed again
> and rebuilt everything with no change.
>
> I don't know exactly what information I can supply other than the config
> file, so let me know if anyone has any ideas.
I have the system built from December 5 sources (csup'ed around 5:45PM
EST) which does not exhibit this problem (or at least, when I run
'openssl speed md5', top reports 100% user time). Below is the diff of
options (sorted and hand trimmed) between your config and mine. If you
think full config is useful, let me know.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman_at_es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
> Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4  EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751
< options         BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC
< options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
< options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3
[KEEP THIS!]
> options       ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.
> options       AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
> options       COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat [KEEP
THIS!]
> options       GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
< options         INET6                   # IPv6 communications
protocols
> options       INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity
checking
> options       INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of
internal structures, required by
 INVARIANTS
< options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
< options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem
< options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
< options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=2000
> options       STOP_NMI                # Stop CPUS using NMI instead of
IPI
< options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
> options       UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS
journaling
> options       WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect
deadlocks and cycles
> options       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks
for speed
> options       _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko