Re: CURRENT Kernel makes the system run very very hot

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:53:55 +0000 (GMT)
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Thomas Sparrevohn wrote:

> There something weird going on - at minimal workloads my system gets very
> very hot - The system is watercooled, 4 Fan's etc its a quad core QX6700 -
> make buildkernel - will make the fans run at highest speed (its impossibly
> to be in the room at the same time).
>
> There are no problems when running other OS'es - Are anybody else having
> this kind of problems (PS its a relatively new thing - maybe 2 weeks)?

I don't know what kernel configuration you're using, but by default the
GENERIC kernel on -CURRENT has a lot of debugging options enabled, doing
things like lock order checking, memory scrubbing, etc.  Does the same box
"run hot" with a 7.0 beta install?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge