Re: FreeBSD 7 trivial problems / notes

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:21:31 +0200
On 2007-12-10 00:54, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>On 10/12/2007, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> Some of these are in the PEBKAC range of problems, though, i.e.:
>>
>> =>  tmpfs and fstab/fsck errors
>>
>>     Since tmpfs /tmp is a memory file system, which is created from
>>     scratch every time, it makes no sense to fsck it on boot.
>
> And this gives it the right to block system from booting? I'd at least
> like a symlink from "true" to "fsck_tmpfs".

Heh, no, there's no reason to block the boot process because of a
missing binary (although some may argue that botching fstab is not
something that should be taken lightly).  A *real* fix is probably
something we should discuss with Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv at
NetBSD.org> and the people who ported tmpfs to FreeBSD.

For example, does it make sense to fsck a tmpfs, ever?  When it's not
mounted, is it accessible in any way?  What are the `use cases' of the
tmpfs filesystem, other than memory-backed /tmp mounts?

> > =>  SCTP depends on IPv6
> >
> >     This is clearly documented in NOTES.  I don't think it should count
> >     as a surprising fact.
>
> I know it's in the NOTES - I've added it when it bit me since I didn't
> read the notes. Maybe I'll remove it.

If it bit you, an experienced FreeBSD developer, it can bite others too.
Let's work with re_at_ to get it in the release notes, if it's not already
there (instead of deleting it from the list) :-)

My last CVSup is from Wed Dec 05 19:32:59 2007 +0000 (right before I
started preparing for Friday's FreeBSD talk at a nearby university),
so I'll CVSup again tomorrow morning, and check how we can fit this into
the release notes in a nice, non-intrusive but still useful manner.