Re: CURRENT Kernel makes the system run very very hot

From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:11:06 -0500
Thomas Sparrevohn wrote on Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 05:28:18PM +0000:

> Hi
>
> There something weird going on - at minimal workloads my system gets very very hot - The system is watercooled, 4 Fan's etc
> its a quad core QX6700 - make buildkernel - will make the fans run at highest speed (its impossibly to be in the room at the same time).
>
> There are no problems when running other OS'es - Are anybody else having this kind of problems  (PS its a relatively new thing - maybe 2 weeks)?

What does the coretemp module report for the real CPU temperature?

I think it is perfectly normal for a buildkernel run to kick the CPU
fan into highest gear.  buildkernel is not a "minimal workload".
buildkernel causes 100% load on one core even in non-parallel, and
that one certainly gets hot.  Since all 4 cores are in one CPU
package, off the one CPU fan goes.

I am curious why do you have temperature-controlled fans when you use
watercooling.

If the other OSes don't do this then they probably have some
powermanagement going on and don't think that a buildkernel is worth
kicking in high gear.  You might want to compare with something that
runs on both FreeBSD and Linux, such as a drystones run, or a Linux
kernel compile (which you can run in FreeBSD's Linux emulation for
comparision).

Another way to track down a difference between FreeBSD and Linux is
monitor the CPU frequency in /proc/cpuinfo on Linux.  By default the
Linux kernel on most distributions messes with that on Core2 systems.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/