Re: PLIP - Parallel IP - does it still work ?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:55:00 +0100 (CET)
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
 > In message <200712110233.lBB2XAtl090250_at_fire.js.berklix.net>, "Julian Stacey" writes:
 >
 > > ( If PLIP doesnt work I only have 2 options left: SLIP or rip the
 > >  drive out & install on another host, & hope the BIOS's compatible
 > >  on disk layout. )
 >
 > PLIP is sensitive to cpu clock speeds, you may have to extend the
 > loops somewhat in order to give all the EMC/EMI protection time to
 > pass the signals.

FWIW, I also noticed that PLIP seems to work best when
both machines are about the same speed.  If you can't
get it to work between a very fast machine and a slow
one, then I suggest you try a different machine (if
possible) that is of similar speed as the other one.

Unfortunately, nowadays computers don't have "turbo
buttons" anymore to make them slower.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

C++: "an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog"
        -- Steve Taylor, 1998