Re: amd64 NVIDIA support in FreeBSD 7

From: Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:05:54 -0600
On Dec 9, 2007 1:35 AM, Kip Macy <kip.macy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that it is a moving target. In order to support NVIDIA
> long term FreeBSD would need to maintain API parity with Linux. As
> Linux adds new interfaces, NVIDIA incorporates them into their driver.
> Unless someone steps up and decides to own the continuing support
> effort to add those interfaces as the need arises, it isn't likely to
> happen.

so if I understand the situation correctly, maintaining feature /
Performance  parity with Linux for Nvidia video cards is possible,
but it isn't likely  that a current FreeBSD developer will donate the
(probably large) amount of time to maintain it.

would maintaining API parity with linux for the purpose of allowing
64bit 3D acceleration support in any way hurt FreeBSD's long term
Goals ?

> On the upside, it looks like ATI's opening up is starting to bear fruit.

from what it sounds like it ATI may be more of a realistic hope for
compiz, and 3D video games to one day work on 64bit FreeBSD

Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

Sam Fourman Jr.