Re: deprecate ftp-proxy in favor of ftp/pftpx

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:39:04 +0100
On Friday 14 December 2007, Remko Lodder wrote:
> J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> > The two main tools most users appear to use for FTP, viz ftp
> > and firefox, do not work well with ftp-proxy any more.  While
> > ftp can be configured to work, firefox cannot.  The problem is
> > that ftp-proxy only supports active mode connections and firefox
> > only supports passive ones.  Ftp, itself, defaults to passive
> > (or even epsv4) and has to be configured to default to active.
> >
> > The port ftp/pftpx is an alternate FTP proxy which handles
> > passive and epsv4 just fine.
> >
> > Is it time to deprecate ftp-proxy and elevate ftp/pftpx to the
> > base system and recommend its use instead?
> >
> > 	-jr
>
> I am a bit sceptical against this because ftp-proxy is a tool derived
> from OpenBSD ( afair ) and it works very well together with PF and
> things like that.
>
> Max: Your thoughts? :)

This is a bit of a confuseing situation, but I'll try to explain:

In RELENG_6 we have the OpenBSD 3.7 derived ftp-proxy (which has some
shortcomings, but I don't feel that switching it for a completely
different version will be in POLA compliant).

In RELENG_7 and HEAD we have the OpenBSD 4.1 derived ftp-proxy (which is a
completely different tool).

IIRC, the pftpx project started off of OpenBSD's ftp-proxy which later
merged in the changes from the pftpx project and added further
improvements.

Bottom line: The ftp-proxy in HEAD and RELENG_7 is believed to work, if it
doesn't please submit details to freebsd-pf_at_  This version of ftp-proxy
can be obtained from the ports collection for RELENG_6, too
(ftp/ftp-proxy) and is believed to supercede pftpx.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet