Re: pending changes for TOE support

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:17:50 -0800
Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> More comments to follow.
>
> Some more, back to tcp_offload.c which I didn't look at last time around:
>
> +    ifp = rt->rt_ifp;
> +    tdev = TOEDEV(ifp);
> +    if (tdev == NULL)
> +        return (EINVAL);
> +
> +    if (tdev->tod_can_offload(tdev, so) == 0)
> +        return (EINVAL);
>
> I sort of expected to see a if_capenable check for TOE here, but I
> guess it doesn't make much difference if the flag is going to be
> checked at the lower level.  However, in the case of things like TCP
> checksum offload, we do do the check at the higher level, so it
> wouldn't be inconsistent to do that.
>
> BTW, could you prepare similar comments for toedev.h?
>
> +struct toe_usrreqs tcp_offload_usrreqs = {
> +    .tu_send =         tcp_output,
> +    .tu_rcvd =         tcp_output,
> +    .tu_disconnect =     tcp_output,
> +    .tu_abort =         tcp_output,
> +    .tu_detach =         tcp_offload_detach_noop,
> +    .tu_syncache_event =     tcp_offload_syncache_event_noop,
> +};
>
> This structure seems to introduce quite a bit more indirection for
> non-offloaded cases than before, especially to do things like this:
>
> +static void
> +tcp_offload_syncache_event_noop(int event, void *toepcb)
> +{
> +}
>
> The compiler can't compile these out because it likely doesn't do much
> in the way of function pointer analysis, and probably shouldn't.
> However, it leaves quite a few code paths heavier weight than before.
> I think I'd prefer a model in which a TF_OFFLOAD flag is set on the
> tcpcb and then we conditionally invoke tu_foo as a result.  I.e.,:
>
> static __inline int
> tcp_gen_send(struct tcpcb *tp)
> {
>
> #ifndef TCP_OFFLOAD_DISABLE
>     if (tcp->f_flag & TF_OFFLOADED)
>         return (tp->t_tu->tu_send(tp));
>     else
> #endif
>         return (tcp_output(tp));
> }
>
> This would compile to a straight call to tcp_output() when offloading
> isn't compiled in, and when it is compiled in and offloading isn't
> enabled, we do a simple flag check rather than invoking a function via
> a series of pointers.

I suggested Kip explore this technique as an alternative to having the
inlines that check whether a socket is marked for offload or not
(tradeoff indirect function call vs conditionals).  My comment to him
was that I find it can make code more intuitive.  But with the common
case being empty functions it's probably not a great option as the
compiler cannot optimize it out.