Re: "zfs list" as non-privileged user?

From: Ralf S. Engelschall <rse+freebsd-current_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:33:06 +0100
On Fri, Dec 21, 2007, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> I recognize that under FreeBSD 7 a simple "zfs list" as non-root just
>> results in:
>>
>> | rse$ zfs list
>> | internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library
>> | rse$ _
>>
>> Is this really intentional or just a bug?
>
>   Is this non-root user in 'operator' group?

No, it isn't. According to the /dev/zfs permissions I guess it is
intended to be. But I nevertheless find it strange that even a simple
"zfs list" requires operator privileges. As I said, this at least
prevents people from checking the existance of snapshots on the
filesystems their home directory resides on, etc.

--
rse_at_FreeBSD.org                        Ralf S. Engelschall
FreeBSD.org/~rse                       rse_at_engelschall.com