Re: libc.so.6 vs. libc.so.7 for compatibility reasons

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:59:01 +0100
Peter, Oliver wrote:
> Hey namesake
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:57:13AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Tried to install ports/java/diablo-jdk15 and it failed to to the lack of
>> libc.so.6 it expects.
>>
>> This night I'll try /etc/libmap.conf. but I want to ask for a better,
>> cleaner way to do so ...
>>

> Could you please give me a short hint to manage this issue with libmap.conf?
> The last time I did it quick & (i think very very) dirty with:
>
> 	# ln -s /lib/libc.so.7 /lib/libc.so.6
>
> Please don't kick my ass.

Well,
the fast and nasty way was simply insert this into a file called

/etc/libmap.conf:
libc.so.6               libc.so.7

and as man libmap.conf says,
this redirects any libc.so.6 involvation towards libc.so.7.
Next I have to do is to specify more exactly when and on whom this
redirection should be done, so something like

[azureus]
libc.so.6            libc.so.7

I'm not very familiar with how the OS works in its deep core, so
sometimes I struggle with the statement within the brakets. SOmetimes
there must be the exact full path, sometimes not and I'm not aware
whether simply the client needs to be 'redirected' to another library or
java itself needs this remapping, too. Maybe one of the gurus herein can
answer this.
With the simple and dirty method, I can run azureus and I was able
installing diablo jdk-15 on my freshly cvsupdated FreeBSD 7.0/amd64 box
and until now, no crahs or other harassments occured.

Regards,
Oliver