Re: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:57:56 +0100
Yuriy Tsibizov wrote:
>> I need to know whether the
>> Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
>> is supported by FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT's snd_emu10kx(8)
>> driver.
> NO.
>

> Yuriy.

All right,
then the question shouldn't be lined up on snd_emu10kx, I saw that this
type of soundcard utilize the CMedia CMI8738 chipset and there is
already a driver called snd_cmi.
The big, bad, ugly question is: will FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT support any of
the X-Fi soundcards from creative?

I feel sad watching the market in Germany. Since the Audigy 2-type SB
cards vanished there are only cheap ones, unsupported ones and expensive
ones, where I can not say whether the expensive ones are supported :-(
It is hard to figure out what chipset several creative soundcards utilize.

At the moment, I have onboard sound (which is boring) and Soundblaster
Audigy SE, which is NOT supported by FreeBSD 7 and OSS driver for amd64
crashes the box - so need alternatives.

Thanks in advance,
Oliver