Re: snd_eny24ht fails to build in kernel [WAS: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio]

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:07:46 +0100
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting "O. Hartmann" <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> (from Tue, 13 Feb
> 2007 14:57:56 +0100):
>
>> All right,
>> then the question shouldn't be lined up on snd_emu10kx, I saw that this
>> type of soundcard utilize the CMedia CMI8738 chipset and there is
>> already a driver called snd_cmi.
>> The big, bad, ugly question is: will FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT support any of
>> the X-Fi soundcards from creative?
>
> No. Creative doesn't provide docs for any product.

This is bad to hear, it reflects a bad attitude of some hardware
providing companies.

>> At the moment, I have onboard sound (which is boring) and Soundblaster
>> Audigy SE, which is NOT supported by FreeBSD 7 and OSS driver for amd64
>> crashes the box - so need alternatives.
>
> There are some options:
>  - usb audio device (I have one from Creative)
>  - envy24 based one
>    *
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=snd_envy24&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7-current&format=html
>
>    *
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=snd_envy24ht&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7-current&format=html
>
>  - an used one

Thank you very much for the hint. M-Audio is now in my focus. Hope I
will have more luck with the 5.1 version.

Nearby, I tried to compile snd_envy24ht/snd_spicds into the kernel
(FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT/AMD64, cvsupdated and makeworld yesterday), but the
sources for this driver fail to compile (made a PR, sorry ahving the PR
No. not handy). Compiling kernel without this driver and loading it as a
module works fine for me.

Regards,
Oliver

--