Re: -CURRENT panics on intensive fs operations.

From: Alexandre \ <alex.kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:48:51 -0500
On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 20:17 -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 08:02:39PM -0500, Alexandre Sunny Kovalenko wrote:
> > I can reliably panic -CURRENT (Feb 11, noon EST) with the something that
> > excersises the file system. I have currently settled on (cd /usr/ports;
> > make clean), but it all started out as doing some "emerges" to test the
> > latest linuxolator. In the case of the "make clean" I have seen it
> > crashing as early as /usr/ports/audio and as late
> > as /usr/ports/textproc.
> >
> > It does not seem to be consistent as to where it crashes (two latest
> > ones are below). This machine is Intel T2400 (1.83GHz 32-bit dual core).
> > I have attached config file to the E-mail. I am going to turn off
> > PREEMPTION for the lack of better ideas, but I will be happy to try any
> > other suggestions. I did run memtest on this machine for about 6 hours
> > without a problem.
>
> How about turning debugging back on to try and catch a more useful
> panic?
I don't know whether it is indeed more useful:

RabbitsDen# kgdb /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TPX60/kernel.debug vmcore.0
kgdb: kvm_read: invalid address (0x16)
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode
threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so: Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
Cannot access memory at address 0x0
(kgdb) bt
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(kgdb)

Maybe this will help someone:
RabbitsDen# grep savecore /var/log/messages
Feb 14 19:35:35 RabbitsDen savecore: reboot after panic: Bad link elm
0xc670c3fc prev->next != elm
Feb 14 19:35:35 RabbitsDen savecore: writing core to vmcore.0

I still have the core and the kernel, so if there are any incantations
that could be applied to it, I will be happy to utter them.

> Also make sure your filesystem is clean, i.e. run fsck -f.  If you
I have been checking the file system and even booted from the media to
run fsck, since this is root system that gets corrupted.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko